Original documents: Chancellor’s massmail (April 19) and administration bargaining positions on non-tenure-track faculty union contract
Detect language: admin-speak
Translate into: reality
- Multiyear contracts should be based on performance and evaluation.
- Performance evaluations are too difficult, and so the administration refuses to agree to them in the union contract.
- The administration is not responsible for the fact that only 19 non-tenure-track faculty members across campus now have a multiyear contract. It’s just too difficult.
- Academic freedom is good at the University of Illinois. See: AAUP Censure List.
- Non-tenure-track faculty members subject to non-renewal at any time with no explanation should naturally trust the administration to safeguard their academic freedom.
- Failure of the administration to safeguard academic freedom cannot be challenged under the contract, even if the administration violates its own stated procedures.