This week, many non-tenure track (NTT) faculty received an email from the Provost’s office outlining the administration’s efforts to undo the formation of our non-tenure-track faculty union, Campus Faculty Association Local 6546, and to maintain what they call the “status quo” for salaries. The administration sent a message that has many NTT faculty concerned that the administration will now withdraw promised and deserved raises.
Our union wants you to get the raises and promotions to which you are entitled! CFA Local 6546 would never prohibit NTT faculty from receiving established merited pay increases, promotions, and expanded benefits. We oppose the pay and promotion freezes currently enacted by the administration.
Then why is the administration saying they cannot grant raises? The administration’s tactics are intentional, political, and destructive to the campus community. They want to exert their power over us and turn the faculty against our union. CFA Local 6546 would like to dispel some of the anxieties created by the Provost’s communication:
- There are no state statutes or rulings that would prevent the administration from continuing established pay raises and promotion structures.
- The administration has made no statement recognizing our right to collectively bargain.
- They have appealed the state’s decision to recognize our union, a process that would postpone our ability to bargain for several months, in an attempt to force University Laboratory High School teachers into our unit.
- The administration seems to want to have its cake and eat it too. They claim to recognize our union, and use it as justification to withhold pay raises and promotions, but they are trying to overturn the will of the majority.
- The administration is spending money on lawyers to overturn the majority decision, instead of giving us our promised pay raises and promotions.
CFA Local 6546 is dedicated to strengthening the voice of NTT faculty, free from administrative decisions based on political motivations and the corporatization of academia. We are committed to working together to fight this!
If you have any further questions or concerns, on this or any other issues, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NTT Organizing Committee, CFA Local 6546
(representing Non-Tenure-Track Faculty at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)